Simply: to track my progress over time. If anyone else decides to read this then that is cool, but it's intended for me. It is to help me understand my thought processes and to assure myself that I am getting faster, developing stamina and becoming a better runner over time. As it stands I am on the mend from Achilles tendon problems. Ran 10km today for the first time in a couple of months. Time of 1h 2mins is pathetic but I'm glad by ankle was relatively calm enough to let me do this. This sounds bad, but a few weeks ago 5km in 40 mins was an achievement. Rewind 2 months and lots of speed training (leading to injury) had me running 10km in 49mins, which was a rather shabby PB (although I'd taken 4 mins off the time I held as 19 year old!). I could run 1km in under 4mins30 seconds although at relaxed pace sat around 5mins30secs. Today I managed to hit a 5min40sec for one of my kilometres but the average was 6:30. I need to be happy though with the progress.
I remember giving up on a marathon programme earlier this year (despite having just run 18 miles the previous week). I didn't think I was good enough for a marathon as I'd struggled to keep to the schedule at a busy time in my life. I realise now how fit and strong I was back then, how lean my figure had become thanks to it too.
My aim now is to set some targets for the year ahead and see how many of them I can reach.
First up is the half marathon on January 6th. Realistic timeframe normally. I won't be entering though, until I can see myself being able to steadily increase the distances. If I handle my next two long runs then I will be confident enough to apply. Then I'll definitely do the meadows (half) marathon again in March and be looking to do a full one around this time too, but need to be selective. I'd love to do the Edinburgh full one in May, then tackle something in the summer. Then I'd like to do the Glasgow half or great north run or both and finish off in November with the southside six which I think is a 26km route.
No comments:
Post a Comment